2003 marked both the 300th year since John Wesley’s birth and the year that the United States, led by the lies of a “Methodist” president, attacked, invaded, and occupied Iraq.
This past week, President Obama, a former member of the United Church of Christ (thank god for the UCC!) officially announced the end of combat operations in Iraq.
Imagine if the Methodist church had been able to force the issue and would have been able to stop or at least effectively protest this war. This is what would have been saved:
- The lives of 4,417 American service men and women.
- Over 300,000 American vets suffer from PTSD or major depression.
- At one time it was estimated that the VA was dealing with 1,000 suicide attempts per month
- It is esmitated that over 100,000 Iraqis have been killed because of violence caused by the 2003 invasion
- 745 Billion dollars have been spent on the war.
Where were our bishops, our elders, our lay people?
John Wesley might be ashamed of what has become of his movement.